Adding a "Problem Solved" icon of some sorts?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by G5Unit, Dec 6, 2009.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

As many of you have probably seen on sites such as Yahoo! Answers and the Apple.com forum, there is this little icon or text that reads "problem solved" or "question answered."

Wouldn't it be nice if the OP of a question-based thread could check a dialogue that would place a little icon(like maybe a check mark) next to the thread when it comes up in search? Because I know that when people are looking for a previously answered question, they never really know which thread actually solved the problem without looking through the whole thread.

Does what I'm suggesting seem sensible?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It has been suggested before, I even eluded to it once. It's likely on their Suggestions List of possible enhancements down the road. A couple issues that can arise from this feature though:
    • The OP is expected to mark it (and many don't come back)
    • Better answers may come after the OP has marked it solved
    • The OP may not understand the answers well enough to judge if things have been solved really
    • Some people reawaken threads to ask follow up questions and if people see a "Solved" icon, they may be less inclined to see what new post are being created and thus could leave people hanging