Adding a Second 8800GT in

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by watermelon, Mar 4, 2008.

1. watermelon macrumors regular

Hi,
    I was planning on adding in a second 8800gt to my mac pro, for better gaming in windows.

I was wondering if I need a special brand of the 8800gt (eVGA/XFX, etc) and what else I would need besides the cars (sli connecter, etc?)
    thanks!

2. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

The Mac Pro does not support SLI. The only reason to add another card is to feed more than 2 monitors...

Sorry dude...

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

No SLI so it won't improve performance unless you are somehow gaming with multiple monitors at the same time.

If you want a second you can buy one from the Apple online store.

4. Ozy macrumors regular

Ozy

I'm about to do the same thing, but not for gaming. I need to know if the MacPro will run fine with two 8800GT's in OS X. Under a random circumstance, I am getting my 2007 MacPro replaced for a 2008 model via AppleCare and they are giving me an 8800GT. I have another 8800GT sitting here that I preordered for my old macpro before finding out that it wasn't going to work. I haven't sent it back yet and was hoping that two 8800GT's would be feasible.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

man while your adding a second 8800gt, I'm still waiting for my first one.. ordered it 1 month ago and still got 1 more month to go.. why is it taking sooooo lonng apple!!

6. watermelon thread starter macrumors regular

Not even in windows?
    Is it like the motherboard cant do two 8800s?

7. Heliconsoul macrumors member

SLI requires a special nVidia hardware chip on the motherboard. It's not software based so it can't done at all on a mac pro even in windows.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're speaking in generalities. SLI is possible on the old Mac Pro (at least) with the 7600. CrossFire works with the X1900 and HD 2600.

This is only in Windows, of course, but it does work.

9. Jonny427 macrumors regular

IIRC crossfire can work because the functionality is built into the cards, not the motherboard like SLI.

10. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

As afar as I know, SLI worked in WINDOWS ONLY on the old Mac Pros with the hacked drivers to support Intel boards and a flexible SLI bridge. I haven't heard of anyone trying it on the new Mac Pro, but I don't see why it shouldn't work with cards that support it.

11. thagomizer macrumors 6502

Just to be clear: 8800-series cards do not support SLI on any Mac Pro, running any operating system, period.