Adding a second SSD to 2012 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by R1PPER, Apr 7, 2014.

1. R1PPER macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I'm currently using a Lacie rugged 256 SSD as my primary OSX startup. Its great, i like the way the mac is working. I want to add another SSD for Boot Camp as windows 8.1 is slowwwww running from the 2gig internal. How can i do this as i only have ONE thunderbolt port and NO usb3 options.

Any help on the subject is more than welcome.

Thx

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Swap out the 256 for a bigger SSD?

Although I have two Thunderbolt ports on my Late 2013 iMac, I am using just one with a 512GB SSD in a Thunderbolt enclosure partitioned half and half between OS X and BootCamp.

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

Which SSD are you using, and did you need a powered enclosure to make it work? I had read that for larger than 256GB SSDs there were issues...

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Lacie now has a "Rugged" SSD in 500GB size ... bus powered Thunderbolt and USB 3.0. I have one and the internal drive is a Samsung EVO 840, which has lower power demands (and slightly less performance) than the more power hungry 840 Pro. This LaCie "Rugged" enclosure also boots Windows without any problems.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm using the Samsung 840 EVO and am using it in an AC-powered Delock 42490 enclosure. I have also done some testing with the same SSD in an Inateck bus-powered UASP USB3 enclosure and it seemed to work fine in the limited usage. As hfg said, the EVO might be OK on bus power. Personally, I don't know that I'd want to run even an EVO 500GB+ full time on bus power though.

Sorry, I don't know very much about the Lacie. I wasn't aware it was bus-powered when I suggested the SSD swap.

6. R1PPER thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info guys. I will digest and let you know how it goes.