Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
I have a stock i5 Mac Mini(Late 2012), 2.5GHz,16GB Ram, 500GB HD; so, it is better to replace the HD with a 256GB SSD or can I internally install this SSD along side of the present 500GB HD??? Will this MM accept two(2) internally installed Drives??

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I have a stock i5 Mac Mini(Late 2012), 2.5GHz,16GB Ram, 500GB HD; so, it is better to replace the HD with a 256GB SSD or can I internally install this SSD along side of the present 500GB HD??? Will this MM accept two(2) internally installed Drives??

Yes you can have both, just get the Drive Doubler Kit from OWC or the Dual Drive Kit from iFixit.

I have the iFixit kit myself and it works perfectly for the 2012. I like it because it comes with a bit driver and a bunch of small bits, so you can use it for other projects as well. I think the OWC kit only comes with the exact minimum number of screwdrivers that you need for the Mac Mini.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeatOSX

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I 2nd this.
I have 2 - 2012 Mini with the data doubler kit, stock 1TB HDD + 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.
During a clean install OS X also allows, and suggests, to Fusion the drives just like a stock Fusion drive from Apple.
I've been running this setup as a server for over a year without any issues.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Also worth mentioning is that if you don't feel comfortable disassembling the Mini, you can plug in a USB3 SSD, and get speeds that are the near-equal of what they would be if the drive were internally-mounted.

The late 2012 Mini will boot and run fine from an external SSD. I've been doing it for going on 4 years now. Runs as fast today, as it did on "day 1".

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
The 2012 Mac Mini's didn't have optical drives, so you don't need a Drive Doubler or anything like that. It has space for two 2.5" drives, so you should be able to add the SSD alongside the existing HDD. The lower bay is a bit of a pain to get to and pretty much require disassembly of the entire machine, IIRC from my own work on one of our 2011 Mac minis.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
The 2012 Mac Mini's didn't have optical drives, so you don't need a Drive Doubler or anything like that. It has space for two 2.5" drives, so you should be able to add the SSD alongside the existing HDD. The lower bay is a bit of a pain to get to and pretty much require disassembly of the entire machine, IIRC from my own work on one of our 2011 Mac minis.
Actually the lower bay is the easy one, the upper bay requires more work.

mini.png

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
It's happened that some have ordered the wrong installation hardware based on bad information (upper-lower cables etc.).
It's never a good policy to assume the skill level of those who are asking for help, so that makes correct information all that more important.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
Thanx for the excellent replies; here in Costa Rica the most widely available is the SSD Brand "Kingston". I may order a Samsung EVO or Crucial Brand SSD via Amazon.

As to a External Drive I like what I see in the "OWC Mercury Elite Pro Mini SSD".

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The 2012 Mac Mini's didn't have optical drives, so you don't need a Drive Doubler or anything like that. It has space for two 2.5" drives, so you should be able to add the SSD alongside the existing HDD.

You absolutely need the kit, especially if you don't have the tools already. But even assuming you already have proper tools, there are still parts in the kit that are required: the SATA cable, rubber grommets, and headless drive screws.

At an absolute minimum you need the SATA cable (assuming you have the tools). I've done it myself this way without the grommets and screws, but the drive flops around if you move the computer. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone anyway. The kit is the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.