Adding a thrird airport extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by M5Pilot, May 24, 2017.

1. M5Pilot macrumors newbie

M5Pilot

I have 2 airport extremes at each end of the house and are connected through an ethernet cable. They are set up as "create a wireless network" since they are hard wired. I have a dead spot in the middle of the house and wondered if I got a 3rd AE (not possible to use a cable on this one), could this one be setup wireless and use "extend a wireless network"? Will these two setups work together?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Should work in the technical sense.

The 3rd AE would have to be getting a good signal from one or the other of the two existing AEs (eAEs) and then be able to reach the dead area for it to work in the practical sense. Putting it in the dead area won't help.

I'm not sure how wifi network names affect the setup. If both the eAEs have the same network name I don't know if that would confuse the 3rd AE as to which one it needs to be extending.

Also, some experimentation with different fixed wifi channels might be needed to optimize the setup.

3. M5Pilot thread starter macrumors newbie

M5Pilot

Thanks Brian I'll try the different channels and see.
    Bill

4. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Reset the new router. Plug it in. Go into your iPhone wifi settings and your new router will appear. You can set it up to extend and it'll take care of everything for you.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

My opinion only, but not worth adding a -third- AE.

If you want coverage over a large square footage, something like the Netgear Orbi would probably do much better...

6. M5Pilot thread starter macrumors newbie

M5Pilot

Thanks for that. Funny thing is I had never heard of Orbi until I poked around on the internet this morning. Went out and bought it. Just finished installing it and now just read your post. So far so good. Guess I'll sell the 2 AE's.
    Bill