Adding a Video Card to 2008 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Adrien Baker, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Adrien Baker macrumors regular

I'm having trouble finding a specific answer to my question. I'm currently running two displays and am considering a 3rd. What are my options? Can I add another 8800GT or do I have to use a different card? Currently I have a PCI-e USB 2.0 expansion card installed and was considering adding a PCI-e eSATA card as well. Is this going to be too cluttered for a second video card?

Adrien

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can add another 8800 GT if there is nothing else in the computer. If the PCIe USB card or SATA card needs power... you might run into trouble. I don't know how many places there are inside the Mac Pro to plug in powered cards of any sort, but if you don't have one open and you want to put in an 8800 GT, you'd be out of luck.

Alternatively, you can get a Radeon HD 2600 and be fine with your cards, since the 2600 doesn't need an external power cable.

Aside: Does your USB card have a place for a 4-pin molex plug, and if so, do you even need to plug it in? Can it charge iPods and the like from those ports without the cable?

3. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

So one of each would work fine? I've got three monitors, and am only working with two right now, and figured I'd drop the extra $150 to get access to the third monitor by buying a 2600HD to go along with the 8800GT.

Given that - I should have no problems running both cards, correct?