Adding Access Point to Wireless N Network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Benjamindaines, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I have a linksys wireless G router, I would like to plug it into my Airport and use it to handle all the G/B connections. I have this set up (using DHCP Automatic on the Linksys) and everything is working (2 networks, both with an internet connection) but there is no Bonjour between the networks. Is there a way I can make my Bonjour (iChat and Printers) extend over both routers?

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I think you would want to set the linksys not to distribute any IP addresses by DHCP but rather just let the Airport handle all IP distribution. If the Linksys does it, then you will either get IP conflicts or you will have two different subnets, and bonjour may not recognize across subnets.

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I figured it out, I had to plug the ethernet into a LAN port on the Linksys then everything worked. But my house is simply too big and has too many walls for the 5GHz N to reach anywhere except the living room / kitchen area :\ So now I'm stuck back running it at 2.4GHz and not getting the full speed. Even if I put an airport express upstairs to extend the network I don't get speeds as fast as I would with the single router running 2.4GHz.

On a side note: Can someone explain exactly what the "Transmit Rate" is (hold down the option key while clicking the Airport menu and you will see your rate), this is how I am judging the speed.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Transmit Rate is the theoretical maximum rate at which data is transfered wirelessly over your network. It's measured in Megabits per second (Mbps). Divide this by 8 and you will get theoretical max Megabytes per second (MBps). I'm running a 5 GHz n-only network at 270 Mbps (33.75 MBps)

5. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Thanks. I guess I'm stuck with it in 2.4GHz, even if I put an Airport Express pretty much directly above the Base station on the next floor I can only get 24Mbps where I need to use the computer.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Yeah, you have to keep in mind that the network is limited to the speed of the slowest connection. Depending on the version of Express you have (non-N) it's going to be g speeds (54 Mbps). And every "hop" in a WDS network effectively cuts the speed in half.

Edit from my last post: According to Wikipedia, I think Transmit Rate also includes the overhead protocol in addition to the useful data that is transmitted per second.