Adding Airport Express destroys network performance

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by samusb, Nov 27, 2009.

1. samusb macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So I just got a new airport extreme and express (both draft n) with the hopes of redoing the wifi in my house. We previously had two modems on either side of the house and separate networks coming off them and I wanted to get rid of one of the modems and just extend the wifi from the other one.

So I set up the Extreme as the main base on the far side of the house and set up the Express to extend. If I stand in the kitchen with the Express off and am just running off the Extreme, the performance is good. But adding the express, even in the kitchen itself, suddenly drops the performance of the network to an unusable speed. Why? I've been moving it around all day: closer to the Extreme, farther from the Extreme. Nothing seems to hit it. Granted the kitchen is an annoying room with lots of metal and phones and interference, but I simply don't understand why adding the Express should mean a *decrease* in speeds.

Also, interstingly, this seems to mostly affect the download speeds and upload will stay about the same. Not sure why that happens.

Anyone have any ideas?
    My ultimate goal is to be able to add another express (one that I had, with b/g) to the network so that I can get internet to a Slingbox in the bedroom.

Lots of thanks in advance.

2. samusb thread starter macrumors newbie

In a bizarre and unexplained fix, I switched the two- making the Express the main bass station and using the Extreme to extend- and it works. Much better than the way it had been before, the range from the extreme seems to throw the wifi well through the rest of the house.