Adding Airport Express to Buffalo Airstation for Airplay

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mhawker, Dec 26, 2016.

1. mhawker macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Purchased a Buffalo WZR-600DHP DD-WRT to create a second network at my house. It's currently hooked up Lan-Wan to my Airport Extreme. I've used the Airport Express components to wirelessly play music through my stereo without issue using the Aiport Extreme/ Airport Express. I'm trying to do the same with my Buffalo router. But it's not working so it seems like I'm missing something.

It's an older Airport Express unit. I can get it to connect to the router's network using the Airport Utility (v5) but it doesn't show up in iTunes.

Searching around, it appears the AE may not work with the Atheros chipset in the Buffalo router. Figured I'd post here to see if anyone has had any luck.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

if you're plugged into the WAN port on the buffalo, then both your wireless networks (from main, and from buffalo) are actually separate networks, and devices can't see anything connected to the other network.

on the buffalo, go to setup -> advanced routing
    put it in router mode.

this is assuming the airport extreme is the one hooked directly to the modem.

if the buffalo is the one connected to the modem, then you'll have to put the airport in bridge mode, leaving the buffalo alone.

3. mhawker thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct, I have (and want) two separate networks running off one modem (extreme is plugged into modem). When my airport express is hooked up to the extreme's network, streaming music works fine (as long as my computer running iTunes is on the same network).

If I switch both (computer and express) to the Buffalo's network, internet works, but streaming does not.

Fwiw- I only want to use the express for streaming music from iTunes.

4. mhawker thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: Figured I'd post my solution for historical purposes. I replaced my older Airport Express with a current model and I was able to connect to my Buffalo router and play via Airplay.