Adding Airport Extreme to Time Capsule network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by krx, Aug 31, 2009.

1. krx macrumors member

I've got an older Time Capsule (model A1254) that I just set up today. I also have an older Airport Extreme base station (model A1034) that I want to use to extend my wireless reach - hopefully out to the garage, which is about 90' from where the TC now sits. (I get a weak intermittent signal out there now but not enough to work with.) Can anyone tell me the best way to do this?

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yep.

First off, make sure you have the newest firmware on both.

Also, I assume your Time Capsule is 802.11N single band. Is your Airport Express 802.11N or G?

The basic gist, though, is to set up a time capsule, and make sure you have the box checked to "allow this network to be extended."

Then reset your airport express to factory settings. Then set it up as "join an existing network"

3. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Wouldn it of been cheaper to buy an airport express rather than an extreme?

EDIT: Ignore that, just read your post properly.

4. krx thread starter macrumors member

Done.

Correct.

It is the older "g" version.

Okay I will try that. I'm wondering what difference it makes if the Airport Extreme is directly connected to the network via ethernet (ie, "roaming") or set up to just "extend" the TC via wifi? I can get the Extreme about 25' closer to the garage into an open room if I go wireless. Otherwise it must run off the router in a closet in the basement. But I'm guessing the signal will be stronger coming directly off the router.

Thanks.

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Make sure that your TC is set to be on the "mixed" mode

6. krx thread starter macrumors member

Sorry but what is "mixed" mode? Is that a setting in Radio Mode? Right now I'm in "802.11n (802.11b/g compatible)". Is that right?

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yep that's what i meant - sorry I just don't have one of those on me right now.

8. krx thread starter macrumors member

Great. Thanks for the help. This seems to have worked.

The strange thing is the instructions from Apple (below) didn't work until taking the steps you describe ("make sure you have the box checked to "allow this network to be extended." Then reset your airport express to factory settings. Then set it up as "join an existing network"). Wonder why they omit these critical steps ... :confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl