Adding an Airport Extreme to handle the Wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by duncyboy, Feb 25, 2011.

1. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Hello, all!

I’m thinking of getting an Airport Extreme router. I’ve currently got a Linksys/Cisco router (WAG120N) and the wireless on it is quite poor. Wired speeds are good but the wifi keeps dropping connection to my Mac, PS3, iPad and iPhone. I was thinking of just using the Linksys for wired purposes and as a modem while adding an AEBS to handle the Wifi. Could anyone see a problem with this?

Also, the ports on the AEBS are Gigabit no? Would I see any benefit of connecting my iMac via a wired connection to the AEBS? It’s still going via the Linksys which is only 10/100 no?

Just wondering if anyone has a similar set-up and can make any recommendations?

Thanks for any and all help

Dunc

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It'd probably just be easier to use one router for both wireless and wired, but it should work fine.
    Probably not, unless you have a gigabit connection.

3. duncyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi- thanks for the reply :)

I would like to find a good all-in-one solution but I'm struggling to find a router that works well with my UK ISP (Be*) and works with Apple stuff (AirVideo, AirPlay, iPad etc)

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Since your router is tied to your ISP, just pick up an Extreme and run it in bridge mode off this router. Best solution IMHO.

5. lexvo macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have this at home. I've got the modem/router from my ISP wired to my Airport Extreme. The Airport takes care of all wireless traffic. It works great.

6. duncyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I think this is the way to go for my set-up. It's payday on Monday too- woots!

Thanks again
    :)

7. d4dammit macrumors newbie

How'd it go

Hey Dunc, I've got the modem as you WAG120n and lately the wireless has been dropping off my apple products, so I've been looking to pickup the Airport Extreme. How did you get on with this? did it work ok?

I also foolishly picked up an airport express no too long ago thinking it could wirelessly extend my coverage, but i read the wrong information and found you require the Airport Extreme to get this working so it'd really kill two birds for me if the wag120n and the Airport Extreme worked 'seemlessly' together.

Can you shed some light on your experience with this setup please.

Cheers
    K.