Adding an Audio File To a Site

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Okay, this may sound an uber n00b web question to ask but im new to this whole web site creation thing...

anyway.. myself and a friend are working on a site together and what not.. its a work in progress at the moment, thing is.. we want to make it so the minute a user accesses the site, music starts playing... specifically an mp3... its small, only at 2 megs so it would be fast to get the site up and running under a broadband connection... so how do i get it up and running? i have seen it where a quicktime thing would pop up and start playing the song in the background and the user can control the volume or skip around.. thats what we want... if it can be done with wmp that would be great too as most pc users have wmp and what not..

:eek:

18thTomorrow

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2004
The Alpha Quadrant
generally using sound in web medium is frowned upon. I find it extremely annoying when a website starts playing music unannounced and unasked.

Why? because I might be listening to something else. Or I may not like the music it's playing. Your taste isn't my taste. and 2MB is still rather large.

Just be careful. Music can drive people away if they don't like it.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
18thTomorrow said:
generally using sound in web medium is frowned upon. I find it extremely annoying when a website starts playing music unannounced and unasked.

Why? because I might be listening to something else. Or I may not like the music it's playing. Your taste isn't my taste. and 2MB is still rather large.

Just be careful. Music can drive people away if they don't like it.
yeah i know... but like i have seen it where like a quicktime controller pops up and u can play or stop the music... and what not.. like how do i do that.. is there html code for that?

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
auto playing 2mb mp3?

don't do it
Don't Do It

DON'T DO IT!

Honestly I don't mean to be a dick but it is uber annoying and as the other person here stated 2mb is far from a small download especially when it's un-asked for.

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
I'd like to see a 2mb file play on access.

anyway, try radio blog

heres an implementation
http://www.tabulas.com/~dodozhang21

heres the website
http://www.radioblogclub.com/

it comes with a util that will convert your music to a smaller file. music doesn't have start on load. as you see from the implementation, clicking on the song name preloads it pretty fast and plays it.

I agree with not having music play on a website at start though, it's annoying.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
I'm not going to offer any advice because I DETEST websites that automatically start playing music or recorded messages when you land on the home page. They are even worse than those annoying sites with Flash intros that require you to click "skip intro" to get to the homepage. I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hate them!!!!! Don't do it!

Better to provide the ability for someone to click on a link and download/listen if they really want to.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
MontyZ said:
I'm not going to offer any advice because I DETEST websites that automatically start playing music or recorded messages when you land on the home page. They are even worse than those annoying sites with Flash intros that require you to click "skip intro" to get to the homepage. I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hate them!!!!! Don't do it!

Better to provide the ability for someone to click on a link and download/listen if they really want to.
okay fine, im over it... eeesh