iPhone XS Max Adding an e-mail on iPhone!

JLH81

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2016
Hello!

I have an iPhone Max XS. I currently have an AOL account on my phone, but when I go into settings to "passwords and accounts," it won't let me add a GMAIL account. I click on "Google" and it just sits there when I do so. Is there some kind of bug in the newest software? If not, can someone help me out with adding the new account?

Thanks much!

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Yeah, something is up. Just tried to add a Gmail account and nothing. Including after reboot.

Might try the "Other" option.

And: not just Gmail, Yahoo clears the screen and then goes back to the original screen/list of account types to add. Outlook and iCloud seem to work ok (though did not test fully as no other accounts under those services that I can add).

aKansasKid

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
After reading this thread, I just now added my gmail account to my iPhone. BUT, I didn't click to add a Google account. Instead, I selected "Other", and selected that it was an email account. I then had to enter the incoming server name, which for gmail is imap.gmail.com. I used my gmail username and password in the incoming server entry. For the outgoing server, I used smtp.gmail.com and left everything else blank. These steps worked for me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.