Adding an existing SSD with Windows to a MBP as secondary drive.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by JoJoCal19, May 10, 2015.

1. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I've always used Windows on my MBP via Bootcamp as my needs were always met that way. However due to my career I've needed a more robust virtual lab so I've got VMware Workstation setup on a laptop with Windows 8.1 Pro. The issue I'm having is that the laptop I have, an AMD A8 3500M base one, has been an utter POS since I got it (shocker!). At first I had Windows 7 installed on a 128GB SSD and I had issues with Workstation and other programs not launching even though after clicking to open them, the process would run but not the program GUI. So I decided to revamp the laptop and did a fresh install of 8.1 Pro and upgraded Workstation (all legit software) and a new SSD and I have the same issue. It's random and it happens more often than not. I think there's an issue with the proc.

So my question is, on my early 2011 MBP can I get the data doubler from MacSales and pop the hard drive as is into the DVD spot and alternatively boot into that installation of Windows? I'm not up to speed on the whole UEFI and boot situation so I figured I'd ask. I'm just trying to avoid having to wipe and redo everything I've installed and set up. If there are any alternative solutions to starting fresh with Bootcamp please let me know.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Because the hardware between the two computers is so different, Windows would run poorly, if the drive even booted at all on your Mac.

It is theoretically possible to install Windows on a secondary hard drive, but the process is time consuming (requiring a copy of VMWare Fusion) and not absolutely guaranteed to work. Also, if the drive in question is a SATA III (6 Gbps) interface, 2011 MacBook Pros are known to have issues with the SATA port in the optical bay not recognizing anything other than SATA II (3 Gbps) drives.

Bottom line: You're welcome to try installing your other drive, but don't count on it working in any sort of plug-and-play fashion.