Adding an extra Airport w/speakers to my Airtunes setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AndersHP, Feb 15, 2012.

1. AndersHP macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm currently running a setup with Linksys Router -> (ethernetcable)-> Airport Express -> Home stereo

This works flawlessly, and the Airport Express doesn't have Wifi turned on.

Now, I want to add a pair of speakers + an extra AE in my kitchen, via WiFi.

I've logged on to the new AE's Wifi network on my Mac, and told it to join my existing Wifi network (created by my router), and this seems to work. But as soon as I change settings on the AE (e.g. renaming the speaker's name in Airtunes setup), and the AE restarts, it disappears from my network and start flashing amber. Done this 10 times or so, only solution is to hard-reset with paperclip and start over.

Is this because the AE only can connect to another AE's Wifi when rebooting? Meaning, that I have to set the first AE to "expand network"?

2. ea9 macrumors regular

Nope. Mine are all connected to my router.

Try using the airport utility on iphone/ipad once it's connected to your router. Maybe it will yield different results. Not that it should because I've configured 4 of them using the windows airport utility.

Good luck

3. AndersHP thread starter macrumors newbie

Via Wifi and no ethernet cables at all?

4. ea9 macrumors regular

Correct, all wifi... ethernet would defeat the purpose :)

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

i've got the same thing, express with speakers in the kitchen connected via wi-fi. Main Base station is a linksys.

until you get it set up and working, plug an ethernet cable from the express into your computer (or your existing lan) that will let you see why the light is flashing amber. then when it's happy unplug the ethernet, and move the express to it's final position.

6. tommot82 macrumors regular

I have 3 all connected via wifi also