Adding an icon to right side of dock...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miamialley, Feb 20, 2009.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

How do I add an icon on the right side of the dock that brings up a list of my most recent files opened? I think there used to be one, but I deleted it.

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

There probably used to be a downloads stack that was on there when you first installed Leopard or got your Mac.

I don't think you can add a folder of your most recent files unless you create one with that particular action. If you want to add a folder to the right side of the dock, just drag it from the finder.

3. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yeah, I have the downloads folder on the dock. Okay, how do I create folder which will show most recent files? I see the option to create 'folder actions,' but don't see how to do what I'm wanting. Mac newbie here.

4. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Using the Automator, it should be pretty easy. I have never really used it that much you I would probably tell you wrong. Is anyone else here experienced with the Automator?

5. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

I'm trying the Automator, but can't seem to figure this out.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Adding a recent items stack was a hot topic after the introduction of Leopard and there are hundreds of references to how to do it out there- just do a Google search using the string "recent items stack".

I just did that and here are the first three search results- all showing how to do it:

http://www.virtualchaos.co.uk/blog/2008/03/30/adding-flexible-recent-items-stack-to-mac-dock/
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071101055329470
    http://www.macworld.com/article/132447/2008/03/leopardsurvival2.html

7. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Tired 'em, not working for me.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Hmmm.... sorry to hear that. I just tried the MacWorld one on a system I am working on since I had never tried it with 10.5.6, but it worked fine. Did the killall Dock and there it was.

If I may ask, at which point did they fail? By that I mean did it throw an error when the line was pasted into Terminal, or did it just not appear after the killall Dock was entered into Terminal or ....? This does have me curious!;)

9. Sigur macrumors regular

Sigur

I tried it with 10.5.6 and it works. It's actually pretty amazing!

10. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

For instance, I try the macworld link, follow the steps, and when I type the kill all command and hit enter, the taskbar goes away and reappears, but nothing is any different. Same each time.