Adding an Intel Mac to a PC network (xp)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tkjazzer, Apr 8, 2007.

1. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

Hello,

I have windows xp on my main PC with external hard drives attached. I also will have an intel macbook pro. I want to make a way to send files from my macbook pro to the external hard drive connected to the pc.

I was hoping to make a home network to do this.

1) any good how to articles on this?

most of the how-to articles are quite old and they were before macs went to intel based. Does this change anything?

I am going to have parallels. I'd rather not have to use it on my mac to network if possible.

Thanks

I have linksys wireless router WRT54G v5

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The Intel factor shouldn't make too much of a difference other than the fact it gives you the option to use Windows instead of OSX. Nevertheless, we are lucky enough to have a pretty good guide on how to network Windows with OSX. Is this the kind of thing you're after?

3. tkjazzer thread starter macrumors 6502

need more help / another post or link please

I haven't set this up yet, and this is going to be a noob question but:

can I access my files on my PC or any external hard drive connected to my PC when I am online but not getting a wireless signal from my router?

For example, can I access my files from work?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's a lot more complicated and involves setting your PC up as a webserver. This is difficult to do from a home internet account because generally you won't be given a static IP from your ISP. It might be a better idea to simply invest in some online storage somewhere and use their space to keep your files. That way you don't have to worry about maintaining the hardware or setting it up. It'll just be accessible from anywhere on the 'net. :)