Adding an iPhone to a family plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sportsfanMAW, Jul 13, 2008.

1. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

Hi, sorry if this has already been posted, i searched but couldn't find it. I am hoping on picking up an iPhone tomorrow and am currently am on a family plan with my parents. So if i understand correctly i'll just add $30 bucks a month for data to our current plan right? thanks

p.s. a side question i'm not sure if you can answer but i'll try. We currently have 700 shared minutes and we have a lot of rollover minutes, can we downgrade our plan to 450 minutes and keep our rollover minutes or will they reset? I'm guessing they reset but i'm just checking.

Again thanks!

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

If the iPhone 3G replaces an existing phone, then the net additional cost is $30 for the data plan. If you are adding a line it would be $9.99 for the line and $30 for the data plan. The $30 does not include TXT Msgs.

Your FamilyTalk plan will be reset to 450 and the maximum rollover minutes that you can have after you change would be 450. The max rollover minutes that you can keep on a rate plan change is the number of minutes that are included in the rate plan.:(

3. harodude macrumors regular

When you go in tomorrow, are you parents going to be with you.
    If not, have them make you an authorized user, just in case ATT requires your ID blah blah.

4. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

Oh ok so essentially i would have 900 hundreds minutes (450 for the month and 450 rollover) the next month and then they would start to add up again? That sounds fair.

Well we have unlimited to eachother and to all ATT landlines so we only end up using a few hundred minutes and with rollover we'd be fine.

EDIT: I just realized 700 is the lowest family unity plan they have. so never mind lol

5. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

Ya they're going with me, otherwise i would have been there today lol but thanks!

6. dave006 macrumors 68020

There may be a FamilyTalk 550 plan available in your market. It is not listed in the published ads. Look at plans at the AT&T site and enter your Zipcode. It may be avaialbe for you.:)

7. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

ya i did, but its not the unity one that has free to all ATT landlines. And without that we would actually use 700 minutes or so lol