Adding an off contract line to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kkay5, Sep 14, 2014.

1. kkay5 macrumors newbie

I am on Verizon's family plan. We have 4 lines all under contract right now. If I want to add another line to my plan and I already own the device free and clear, do you get a discount from the $40/month line access fee? It looks like AT&T will give you a $25.00 discount if you bring your own device. Does Verizon do that or do you have to be a part of the Edge program to get the discount?

Thanks for any insight anyone can give. This will help me plan what we want to do with the iPhone 6.

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

It depends on the plan. <10GB = $25 discount. >10GB = $10 discount.

3. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

4. kkay5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just called Verizon and they said the discount only applies if you are on the Edge program. That is so frustrating!! I really don't want to have to go through the pain of switching from Verizon to AT&T, but they will give you the discount for bringing your own device. I have 5 kids and want to start buying our phones outright.

5. bwsteg macrumors 6502

You dont need to be on edge plan to receive discount. There are too many misinformed reps.

6. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I don't think you can add a new line to a Verizon plan without incurring a 2-year contract. At least I've never heard of it, away from pre-paid that is.

7. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

Correct. We have the discount so what you say is right.

8. kkay5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I appreciate the info, that's good to know.

One more question. If you have a basic phone line with a paid for phone and 10 GB of data, do you get a discount or is it only on the smartphone lines? And if you get a discount, how much do you get? It sounds like with the discount, the smartphone line is cheaper!

9. bwsteg macrumors 6502

Only on the smartphone lines. With basic phone, that line has a charge of $10 per month...