Adding another display to my Macbook Pro/Thunderbolt display setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jonahgabriel, Jun 24, 2013.

1. jonahgabriel macrumors newbie

Hey guys...I am trying to add another monitor to my 17" MacBook Pro (non-retina) and my 27" Thunderbolt display. I have tried to hook up a monitor using a VGA to MiniDisplay adapter to the back of my Thunderbolt monitor, but got no signal.

Everything I have found online seems to say you can't chain a non TB display to a TB monitor, but most of the links I have found are from around December 2012...is this still the case?

Thanks!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You can't directly connect a mDP display to the back of a TBD. However if you plug in an interim Thunderbolt device (e.g. a Thunderbolt hard drive), you can plug the mDP display into the Thunderbolt output of that device. So it'd go Macbook -> TBD -> TB Hard Drive -> mDP Monitor.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Since it is a hardware issue with the version/implementation of ThunderBolt you have I would not expect time to change it. The only way it will change is with different hardware.

FWIW I am also not able to do what you are trying to do using my MBPr, a ThunderBolt Display, and a Dell 24" UltraSharp monitor. Fortunately the MBPr has two ThunderBolt ports so I can just connect the two monitors directly to the MBPr.