Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I ordered my iPhone 7 Plus on Sprint.com. If I want to add Apple Care+ do I have to take it into the store or can I do it online? I understand they give you a 60 day grace period.... Last time I remember you had to take it into an Apple store so they can inspect the condition, has that changed? I don't feel like driving all the way to the Apple Store, its a waste of time because its a brand new product and Sprint.com didn't have an option for AppleCare. Thank you

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I ordered my iPhone 7 Plus on Sprint.com. If I want to add Apple Care+ do I have to take it into the store or can I do it online? I understand they give you a 60 day grace period.... Last time I remember you had to take it into an Apple store so they can inspect the condition, has that changed? I don't feel like driving all the way to the Apple Store, its a waste of time because its a brand new product and Sprint.com didn't have an option for AppleCare. Thank you

You can call them and they can run a diagnostic. Not sure if you have an apple authorized service provider but normally they can add it on too.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ

Call Apple (1-800-MyApple) and buy it. They will ask for your IMEI and then send you a text with a link to a remote diagnostic utility. If it passes, they will add it to your device.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
oddly enough every time I have called they have never run the diagnostic. They did 1 time with an iPad, but never a phone, other iPads, or apple watch.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
nice. what about Apple.com?

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

Important notes
Purchase AppleCare+ with your new iPhone. Or buy it within 60 days of your iPhone purchase:

• Online (requires you to verify your serial number and run a remote diagnostic)
  • At an Apple Store (inspection of iPhone and proof of purchase are required)
  • Or call (800) 275-2273 (requires you to run a remote diagnostic and provide proof of purchase)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
oddly enough every time I have called they have never run the diagnostic. They did 1 time with an iPad, but never a phone, other iPads, or apple watch.
It's also been used as an end run around Apple.

Some people have broken their screens or done accidental damage within the first 60 days of owning their device. The online diag, if they run it, does not detect broken screens or physical damage, where in a physical examination at an Apple store it would be obvious.

AC+ gets added, customer pays less for a new screen or a replacement.

Reactions: mattopotamus

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's also been used as an end run around Apple.

Some people have broken their screens or done accidental damage within the first 60 days of owning their device. The online diag, if they run it, does not detect broken screens or physical damage, where in a physical examination at an Apple store it would be obvious.

AC+ gets added, customer pays less for a new screen or a replacement.

Oh definitely. The same way people dunk their phones in water so they get a new one (refurb) instead of a screen replacement under AC+. I guess people will have to break their phones in half now. That is probably a major reason apple made it cheaper to get a screen replacement under AC+.

Reactions: eyoungren

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
USA
I couldn't do it online but I did call them over the phone(800) 275-2273 . No diagnostics they just wanted to verify the serial number. Thanks for the tip I saved some gas money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.