Adding Apple Music song to playlist?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by gbill2004, Jul 5, 2015.

1. gbill2004 macrumors newbie

When I add a song from Apple Music streaming service to a playlist in My Music, does it use data, after it's been added, every time I listen to that song?

2. MentalFloss macrumors 6502a

MentalFloss

Yes, it does, unless you make the song or the whole playlist available offline.

3. gbill2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I do that?

4. MentalFloss macrumors 6502a

MentalFloss

You clock/tap the three-dot-button for the song or playlist, and then you will get a bunch of options - one of them being to make the song or playlist available offline. This will trigger a download. After that download, listening to that song or playlist will not use up any data.

5. gbill2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I assume the downside of doing that is that it will now use up storage on my phone?

I did followed your steps, but there was no indication that it was downloading/downloaded?

6. MentalFloss macrumors 6502a

MentalFloss

Yes, exactly, it takes up space now. But you can remove it again by pressing that three-dot-button again. It should then give you an option to remove the download. That is also a way to verify that the download actually went through.

And yes, it is easy to miss the download, both on iOS and on iTunes.

7. gbill2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again. Would be nice if the songs downloaded into a cloud, instead of to your phone so it didn't take up space.

8. danielllb macrumors newbie

danielllb

They do store in the cloud, that is actually the point of Apple Music. When you put a song offline it means you can also listen to it when there's no internet connection. The cloud means you have to be connected to the internet, as your phone has to access the song in the cloud, and needs internet to do so :) So while downloading the song to use it in offline mode it takes up storage on your iPhone, it won't use data to play the song.

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

If you look closely near the top you will see (very small) downloading xxx songs