Adding AppleCare+ to iPhone 5 pre-ordered from AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pw1981, Sep 14, 2012.

1. pw1981 macrumors member

When pre-ordering the iPhone 5 from AT&T today, there was no option to add AppleCare+ to the purchase.

Will I have to visit an Apple Store to buy it later? The Apple site says you can add it within 30 days with your Apple, Inc. proof of purchase but will an at&t-purchased unit have the same requirements?

2. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

You actually have to have your device inspected by a Genius in order to purchase AppleCare+ if you didn't order through Apple and add it in your cart.

3. sindekit macrumors member

I actually forgot to add the apple care, so is it cool if I just come in a couple days after I receive my phone and grab the apple care+?

4. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

According to the website, if its not added during the original purchase of the iPhone, you have to have your device inspected by a Genius when you purchase AppleCare+.

5. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

I'll be doing the same, ordered through Verizon.

I'm just going to take it straight there in the box.

6. MattSorkinNyC macrumors member

MattSorkinNyC

You can purchase AppleCare for the first 30 days after your purchase.

7. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Yea but an Apple Genius has to inspect the phone as another poster said.

I pre-ordered from Apple and I just added it in my cart.

8. MattSorkinNyC macrumors member

MattSorkinNyC

I haven't heard of that but will take their word for it then.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

10. MattSorkinNyC macrumors member

MattSorkinNyC

yes thank you very much had it the day i bought my previous iphone so thats why obviously i didn't need an apple genius. :rolleyes:

11. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Couldn't we just call Apple (1800-MYAPPLE) and order it before the item gets delivered?

12. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Perhaps you should find out!

13. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

i called apple and was informed it can not be added to an iphone preorder once the order has been placed. they would have to cancel the order and redo the whole thing. that would mean you would lose your place in line for shipping. they did however inform me that i can call them as soon as i receive the phone and they will make an exception and apply the protection to my phone over the phone. the only reason they are willing to do this over the phone is because i live more then 50 miles from an apple store

14. thesaint580 macrumors member

This is exactly what I did a while back. They added it easily.

15. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

I just got off the phone with apple and was told almost the same thing.

I do live near an apple store but the store will be jam packed with people and don't really want to experience that. He told me as soon as I get my phone in my hands call them and order the applecare+ as they'll make an exception.

16. TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

From Apple's Site:

17. Vesper6 macrumors newbie

I think I'm just going to get Squaretrade instead. Same price and no $50 replacement fee. (They even let you do a same day swap at an Apple store and reimburse you any cost you had to pay).

18. VDubb macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure SquareTrade charges you a fee for accidental damage, just like AppleCare+.

19. Philthy84 macrumors member

I had a similar situation with the new iPad earlier this year. I purchased it through BestBuy due to reward points and gift cards. I just called Apple over the phone when I got home and purchased AppleCare+ through there. Not sure if I will be going this route with the iPhone 5 since I would like to have lost/theft protection on it. But they usually make exceptions for new release products, just say you don't want to deal with the madness of actually going into a store on that day/weekend.

20. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

I am in this boat as well. maybe something has changed, but when I ordered the 4s I called apple the day I received my phone and they added apple care plus over the phone. I didn't have to go to the apple store.

----------

Also on the squaretrade vs AppleCare I have had to make a claim under both. I had squaretrade on my 4 and AppleCare plus on my 4 s. AppleCare is much easier. I just swapped my iPhone 4s today at the apple store $51 and I was out the door, no paperwork no waiting. On the squaretrade you have to pay out of pocket, submit the receipt and they will mail you a check. They are good about it, but it's a hassle compared to apple care.

----------

21. VDubb macrumors 6502

I just finished added it over the phone. No need for my order to be canceled/redone.

- VDubb