Adding AppleCare+, what did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JustCrusin, Sep 20, 2012.

1. JustCrusin macrumors member

I decided to add AppleCare+ to our 2 new iPhone 5's. I called the number that was recommended here --> transferred got new 800 number. Called new number provided --> transferred --> transferred. I'm told I can't add AppleCare+ until I have phone in hand.

Huh? I seem to remember many people on here adding it already. Frustrating.

I digress.

2. Snowblind258 macrumors newbie

AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store. To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Genius will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage.

I got to add mine when I was buying the phone, if you already bought it the apple store needs to do a once over so there aren't any pre-existing conditions

3. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I faced the same issue but finally got it added. I received the email from Apple that allowed me to add it by just responding. It took them 3 days to respond. During that time, I called Apple CS and two different people told me that I had to wait until I had the phone to add it as my phone was already preparing to ship. I didn't like that resolution but I accepted it. A day later, I finally received a response to my email that it had been added by apple support.

My phone has shipped but my AppleCare is still processing. All I can say is just keep calling. Maybe you will get the person who can actually help. Try the sales dept as well and not just cs.

4. JustCrusin thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I get the no damage thing. I haven't received it yet, so there can't be any damage. I also live almost 2 hours from an Apple store so no way I'm making that drive.

If they can't do it over the phone then I'll give my $200 to Squaretrade.

5. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

Hm..thats weird. I called them yesterday and they basically said "SURE"

6. christyn macrumors 6502a

Not true.
    You can call and get it added over the phone provided that you call after you activate it aka tomorrow. This has been verified by CS.

OP, did you order from Apple? I don't see why they wouldn't let you add it over the phone now if they can see your order. If it's through a carrier they wouldn't be able to see the phones until they are activated.

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

A lot of us were able to add it with just a simple e-mail as directed in this thread.

It took them 3 hours to respond to me and add it to my pre-order.
    Give it a shot.

8. dylanursula macrumors 6502

I called twice as the first time I was told to wait until I got it. Second time it was added

9. JustCrusin thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I did order from Apple. As I explained to the reps I can see it on my support profile.

----------

Thank you...just sent them an e-mail.

10. christyn macrumors 6502a

If email doesn't work I would call in right after you activate the phones and they shouldn't give you any issues adding it.