Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neotribe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
When I bought my iMac all the applications were in the dock along the bottom. There were also icons for Applications and Documents.
I came in today to see that my two year old had dragged and dropped all of my applications into my trash can. Or so he said. I can't find them in the trash.

I went to Finder and was able to add most of the apps back into the doc. But I can't seem to add the shortcuts for Applications and Documents. I tried doing this by going through the Macintosh HD but that doesn't work.

Any ideas?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
When I bought my iMac all the applications were in the dock along the bottom. There were also icons for Applications and Documents.
I came in today to see that my two year old had dragged and dropped all of my applications into my trash can. Or so he said. I can't find them in the trash.

I went to Finder and was able to add most of the apps back into the doc. But I can't seem to add the shortcuts for Applications and Documents. I tried doing this by going through the Macintosh HD but that doesn't work.

Any ideas?
  1. Click once on your desktop so the name in the Menu Bar at the top of your screen says "Finder" right next to the  on the left side.
  2. Press Command-Shift-A to open the Applications folder
  3. You can either drag any app from that folder to the left side of the Dock, or you can double-click an app to open it, then right-click on its Dock icon and select Options > Keep In Dock.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I think the op is struggling with putting the folders themselves into the dock rather than single applications. Just open finder go your home folder then drag the documents folder into the dock on the right side. You can right click on the folder in the dock and display options (GGJStudio has a tutorial on this). The same goes for applications but you need to click on your hard drive first in finder and you will see the applications folder.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
As an FYI to the OP, your 2-year-old didn't need to put them in the Trash, as the icons in the Dock are only aliases or place holders for the actual Apps, etc. and when you drag them out of the Dock and let go they disappear in a puff of smoke. :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I think the op is struggling with putting the folders themselves into the dock rather than single applications. Just open finder go your home folder then drag the documents folder into the dock on the right side. You can right click on the folder in the dock and display options (GGJStudio has a tutorial on this). The same goes for applications but you need to click on your hard drive first in finder and you will see the applications folder.
I think you're referring to this: Restoring Folders to the Dock

doktordoris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009

Any ideas?

Crikey. There is no way I'd let a 2 year old near my mac, with their inquisitiveness and sticky fingers. Perhaps you should set it to password protected screen saver after a short interval to stop the little chap causing more chaos in the future.

Neotribe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Still not working.

I have tried all of the above and it still won't work. I was able to restore all the other applications to the dock immediately. The only two that don't work are documents folder and the applications folder.

For example, when I drag the applications folder icon from the Macintosh HD, it gives me the green "plus" sign to add it to the desktop, but as soon as I hover over the dock, that green sign disappears. I don't even have an option of adding it to the dock. (It never appears in the dock.)

Thanks to everyone trying to help me out on this.
It wasn't a question of letting my two year old use my Mac. I thought he was watching TV while I was shaving. I came back and he said he put everything in the trash. I didn't even know he was talking about my computer until about an hour later.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The only two that don't work are documents folder and the applications folder.
Use the link I posted in post #7. My guess is you're trying to add them to the left side of the Dock, which won't work. Drag them to the right side, as illustrated in the link I posted.

Neotribe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Great

Awesome. It finally worked. I restarted the system and used Clean My Mac. Tried it again and it worked how you said it would. Thanks for all your help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Awesome. It finally worked. I restarted the system and used Clean My Mac. Tried it again and it worked how you said it would. Thanks for all your help.
One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.