Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yelhsa421

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2013
I just got a subscription to redbox instant and when i try to play the video on my ATV through my Iphone4S all it will play is the sound. I figured that since the youtube airplay still works maybe i would have to get the Redbox instant app on the TV. Is there a way to download that app to the Apple TV?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Haven't tried Redbox Instant myself, but from reading this article it sounds like the app doesn't properly support AirPlay (it gives audio-only, as you've found). Apparently it'll work OK with AirPlay Mirroring, but that will give you a shrunken picture.

No reason I can see Redbox couldn't fix this in their app, but it's something they have to address.

Currently it's not possible to install apps on an Apple TV. Sure would be a great feature, though.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
the app isnt broken they do this so you can't airplay to the TV. if you're phone is jailbroken there may be a tweak that can enable it for you, unrestrict premium comes to mind but im not sure if it would work with this app

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.