Adding Bluetooth to Power Mac

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
I searched the forum, and couldn't find anything...

So I bought my Power Mac from Amazon, (I saved $500), and I'm trying to figure out how to get all the BTO options that I would have gotten. I've figured out how to get everyhing but bluetooth. Perhaps I'm not searching correctly on Google. What can I do to add bluetooth internally.

JoshRtek

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2004
I think you can buy Bluetooth USB modules that you can plug into any USB 1.1 ports (Keyboard, or on the CPU, etc). Not sure who manufacutures these... Might want to do a Google search for it.

With a quick visit, I found this on Apple's website when researching their wireless keyboard:

"D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter" Give that a Google, and you should be set!

icarusflies

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
Are there any usb cards that have an internal port on the card? (I know there are firewire cards like this). You could always put a bluetooth dongle on that - but the reception would be poor due to the shielding on the macs casing.

I think the only answer is an external dongle. If you can't spare the ports - get a hub.

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
The USB Bluetooth Adapter is not that bad, just plug it in the back of the PM and you're good to go. It works flawlessly.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Yeh but they're so god damn Ugly :p I also want an internal one.. the slot is there, in the PowerMac, there just aren't enought PowerMac parts around.

Edit: Here you can get an internal bluetooth module to fit yourself :p But USA only I think.

PowerMac G5 Parts

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I have a Power Mac with BT and to be honest the BT aerial is bigger than a USB dongle. So I don't think it really matters one way or the other which option you go for, both end up with something hanging off the back of your Mac. ;)