Adding Bluetooth to Printers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xkRoWx, Nov 12, 2008.

1. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

I have an Epson Stylus CX4800 printer, on the left side of the printer, there is an USB port. I was wondering if I can stick a Bluetooth dongle in there and have my MBP pair with the printer, and print files wirelessly via Bluetooth.

Anybody with a similar set up that can provide some insightful comments and feedbacks?

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I think you should try, if you already have the 2 dongles.
    Remember that as long as the printer didn't come with bluetooth built-in, the Epson driver won't support it. You'll be using OS X's CUPS bluetooth protocol, so you need to use a CUPS driver, which is Gutenprint for an Epson. You may need an updated Gutenprint:
    http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/macosx

If it doesn't work, it's probably because the USB connection on the front of the printer is just for Pictbridge functions. I think one of these (or similar) will work (for the rear connector) - but the price is out of line:
    http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8T031-Bluetooth-Wireless-Printer/dp/B0001D3JY0

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

I'm not sure about the CX4800, but I have an RX595 and I couldn't for the life of me get it to connect via Bluetooth. The printer itself is listed as being Bluetooth ready, but I found out the hard way that not any BT USB dongle will work. I think Epson made it so that only the BT USB adapter that they sell will work on their printers.

The CX4800 specs
    The RX595 specs
    The BT adapter FAQ

If you'll note, the RX595 is listed as Bluetooth compatible while the CX4800 does not mention bluetooth at all. Also, in the BT adapter's FAQ, the CX4800 is not listed as a compatible printer. So I'm afraid your printer won't work with a BT dongle, but might with the BT print server that gshali linked.

4. xkRoWx thread starter macrumors regular

xkRoWx

Say, assuming if the front USB is only "Pictbridge" compatible, what if I get a USB adapter to connect the dongle in the back? Technically speaking the dongle would serve the purpose as the cable, connecting the printer with the computers wirelessly.

I know there will be programs and drivers needed to set up a print server, mind if you guys could link me a tutorial?