Adding calories while on treadmill

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iona44, Jun 14, 2015.

1. iona44 macrumors newbie

My greatest enjoyment of the new Apple watch is measuring expenditure of calories. Unfortunately, while using a treadmill and holding onto the rails, no calories are added. Any ideas about credit for calories while performing this exercise?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Why would you hold the rails... That would be seriously awkward...

3. bradbomb macrumors regular

Are you picking indoor walk or indoor run when you are on the treadmill? If you are, then it should be continuously monitoring your heart rate and be counting calories. I just did an Outdoor Cycle and my arms are not moving, but it credited me 800 calories for the hour ride I did.

4. iona44 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for this helpful suggestion. Will implement immediately.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Holding onto the rails vastly lowers the intensity of the workout. You will get a much better workout and burn more calories by slowing down (if you need to) and using natural arm swing. Also if you have some health issues then walking without the rails is true functional training and will help more in real life walking.

This may still be a problem. When running Workout: Indoor Walking the :apple:Watch is looking for arm swing to determine cadence, pace and distance.