Adding calories while on treadmill

iona44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2015
My greatest enjoyment of the new Apple watch is measuring expenditure of calories. Unfortunately, while using a treadmill and holding onto the rails, no calories are added. Any ideas about credit for calories while performing this exercise?

bradbomb

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
My greatest enjoyment of the new Apple watch is measuring expenditure of calories. Unfortunately, while using a treadmill and holding onto the rails, no calories are added. Any ideas about credit for calories while performing this exercise?
Are you picking indoor walk or indoor run when you are on the treadmill? If you are, then it should be continuously monitoring your heart rate and be counting calories. I just did an Outdoor Cycle and my arms are not moving, but it credited me 800 calories for the hour ride I did.

iona44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2015
Are you picking indoor walk or indoor run when you are on the treadmill? If you are, then it should be continuously monitoring your heart rate and be counting calories. I just did an Outdoor Cycle and my arms are not moving, but it credited me 800 calories for the hour ride I did.
Thank you for this helpful suggestion. Will implement immediately.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...Unfortunately, while using a treadmill and holding onto the rails, no calories are added. Any ideas about credit for calories while performing this exercise?
Holding onto the rails vastly lowers the intensity of the workout. You will get a much better workout and burn more calories by slowing down (if you need to) and using natural arm swing. Also if you have some health issues then walking without the rails is true functional training and will help more in real life walking.

This may still be a problem. When running Workout: Indoor Walking the :apple:Watch is looking for arm swing to determine cadence, pace and distance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.