Adding Cellular iPad to Shared Data requires 2 year commitment!!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by msaghirmd, Sep 14, 2012.

1. msaghirmd macrumors newbie

I switched my family plan to shared data thinking it would be nice to have my LTE ipad and my iphones under same account even though it would cost me like $20 more per month. After I got my 2 phones on they told me I needed to buy a "post-paid sim" and pay $36 activation fee. I argued with them and they said they could work around the fees. Then the worst part: the ipad I completely own and paid full price for, it requires a 2 year commitment to add to shared data at $10 per month. How is this possible? I argued with the rep for a full hour. She assured me that this was the at&t policy. That the early termination fee applied if I wanted to get a new ipad (and pay full price) in March 2013. I would again have to lock into another 2 year contract. Is this not completely absurd!? Am I losing my mind here? I fought and fought with her but she was adamant. WHY THE F WOULD THEY DO THIS? IT's ALREADY A RIP OFF THAT I HAVE TO PAY $10 A MONTH TO USE MY DATA THAT IM PAYING FOR. I told her to switch my plan back to family plan since it was cheaper anyways. I work in a hospital and I have a corporate 25% discount which applies only to data ($30 off the $120/10 GB plan) but that shouldn't have anything to do with it right?

Please advise me on what to do...

2. KeepCalmPeople, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Huh...

I've just done some searches on the Interweb to confirm what you were told, and cannot find anything other than various news articles from the time that AT&T launched the shared data plan, each of which state that in order to add a tablet to the plan for $10 per month it must be on a subsidized contract, and will remain so after being added.

Whatever the CS rep said sounds like complete BS to me.

UPDATE:
    I logged into the AT&T website and went through the steps to add a new line to my shared data plan. I then selected 'tablet' as the new device and I am able to select from a number of tablets at full price that I can buy from AT&T. For example The 32GB iPad for $729. Next to each tablet it clearly says two things:
    'No service commitment'
    'Qualifying monthly data plan required.'

The CS rep is DEFINITELY not telling the truth.

3. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I have an LTE iPad and I've opted not to turn on the data on it. Now that the mobile hotspot feature is included with the shared data plans, I rather just share my data connection thru tethering and save myself the monthly $10.

4. blahblah12 macrumors newbie

ATT Customer Care Is Wrong

I do activations every day and can tell you that AT&T is wrong. If you add the device yourself or with customer care over the phone then there if no activation fee. I have heard that if a dealer does it (ATT store, Best Buy, etc) then the activation fee applies. You can also add the data through your ipad under SETTINGS<CELLULAR DATA. Check out the following

www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB117142#fbid=UP73nQgeAgN