Adding Components to a Home Theater

jashtiani

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2012
I have a Pioneer TV hooked up to a Pioneer Receiver via HDMI, and the receiver also has a cable box, Blu-Ray player, and Apple TV connected to it as well. If I add a Wii to the receiver, will it overheat any of the components?

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
No. The only reason things might overheat is if you have things physically stacked or unventilated (say by putting them in a cabinet without air holes.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Do you have any sources to cite your information?
Why would you think that a receiver would overheat if components are plugged into it? I assume the receiver has inputs for these different devices, so why would you think that it couldn't handle it? It's not like the receiver is processing input from all of the devices simultaneously and trying to output to multiple sources, etc. It's taking input from 1 place at a time, and sending it to one destination.

??

As Alan said, you'd only have problems if there was a physical heat issue, exactly as he described (poor ventilation, or physically stacking components on top of each other)

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
I have a mini, bluray, cable box, and atv3 hooked to my onkyo all stacked in a closed cabinet and they have no issues

Philpug

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
Reno, Nv
In my audio/video geek days I had...

Sony Beta HiFi
Mitsu S-VHS
Pioneer LaserDisc
Nakamichi Cassette
Sony CD
Bang & Olufsen LP
Sony PS1

all into a Sony ES receiver..never overheated. As long as you have the inputs..should not be an issue.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
In my audio/video geek days I had...

Sony Beta HiFi
Mitsu S-VHS
Pioneer LaserDisc
Nakamichi Cassette
Sony CD
Bang & Olufsen LP
Sony PS1

all into a Sony ES receiver..never overheated. As long as you have the inputs..should not be an issue.

lol, sounds like my setup back in the day.....add in a DCC and DAT :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.