Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
UK
In the finder file browser windows its possible to have a Your Name's Computer icon (by pressing Finder -> Preferences -> Sidebar (tab) -> then Tick Computer).

I am just wondering if its possible to have the same Computer icon that appears in the Finder in the Dock as well? As I can't seem to copy it out of the left hand finder sidebar as it will just delete it.

Thanks for any ideas!

sebf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
UK
I think that only my Macintosh HD and not the actual Computer which shows all the HDs, USB devices and CDs etc.

I am wondering if you can do it for the Your Name's Computer? (which you can get up by pressing Finder -> Preferences -> Sidebar (tab) -> then Tick Computer)

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
Ah, I see. I didn't follow your steps before.
You can make a folder with alias to each of those items, but that wouldn't work for removeable media such as cds.
hmm...
this is a good question

EDIT: one idea would be to memorize the shortcut SHIFT+APPLE+C which will take you to this folder if Finder is the frontmost application

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I don't think there's a way. But it's not much harder to just click on the Finder icon in the Dock and then have all of your hard drives/networked drives/mountable media of all kinds right there in the Sidebar.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
in finder prefs you can set "New finder window opens: Computer." Then when you click on the finder icon it will take you to this folder.

sebf

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
UK
I don't think there's a way. But it's not much harder to just click on the Finder icon in the Dock and then have all of your hard drives/networked drives/mountable media of all kinds right there in the Sidebar.

I guess so, perhaps I just being too fussy! :rolleyes:

funman895

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
there is now! It is called Volumizer! It won't mount the Your Name Here's Computer but it will mount Macintosh HD and all volumes connected like USB drives and cds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.