Adding custom Text Tones in iOS 4.2 ??

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BigDukeSix, Nov 17, 2011.

1. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I have been googling and reading all afternoon on how to get custom text tones on my VZ iPhone 4 running OS 4.2.10
    I do come across various places that say it can be done, but I cannot find exactly how to do it. I won't jailbreak my phone if that is what is required.
    I am running iTunes 10.5.1 and I do see a lot of tones listed under library>tones. If someone could give me a clear answer and instructions on how to do it if it can be done, I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

It is not possible to use custom text tones on iOS 4. A jailbreak is required, so unless you want to update to iOS 5 (which does allow custom text tones) or jailbreak, youre outta luck.

Since you don't want to jailbreak, I would just update to iOS 5 if I were you.

4. BigDukeSix, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

BigDukeSix thread starter macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

That is what I suspected. Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it.
    FYI, I am holding off from iOS 5 till the bugs get worked out. I have seen too many threads here about issues with it.
    Or, I might just wait till the iPhone 5 comes out and do a big upgrade...LOL
    Thanks again.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhone 5 is out and I'm loving mine. I haven't had any issues on any of my iDevices running iOS 5. Its a good upgrade.

6. BigDukeSix thread starter macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

It does seem that folks who got their new iPhone 4S and started fresh out of the box have not had the same issues as folks who had a bunch of apps, music, photos and such who did the upgrade. Other than the battery and echo issues of course...

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I restored my 4S from a backup of my 3Gs, which was also restored from a backup of my 1G iPod Touch. In total summation, my 4S is based off of an iOS 1.1.1 backup from 2007 and I have no battery life problems or any other issues.