Adding external HDD- Panther problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Apple Jack, May 31, 2008.

1. Apple Jack macrumors newbie

I'm running a G3 blue&white accelerated to G4 500 MHz w/ Panther 10.3.9. My poor old 6Gb internal has been grunting along with only 1Gb of free space for some time now, and when I found a 160Gb external USB HDD for a good price yesterday, I bought it and installed it. My idea is to move as many data files off the internal to free up as much space as possible for the OS. I read about some issues with early versions of Panther corrupting externals on startup, but don't know if they were resolved in later releases. This leads me to several (Probably dumb) questions:

Do I need to worry about ejecting the external before shutdown and re-mounting after startup? If so, can I keep an alias of the drive in the dock to easily re-mount without having to fire up Disk Utility?

When I erased and formatted the external, I used the default format-"Mac extended Journaled". Was that the proper format? What's the difference?

Do I need to be careful about moving my Application folders off the startup disk?

The G3 and the external (A WD1600b012rnn) are FireWire capable, and I'll probably move it off the US Bus next weekend. Are there any issues I need to be aware of with doing that?

Like I said, probably dumb questions, but I'm trying to be very careful about what I'm doing here. Don't need any problems caused by my own inexperience!

Thanks for any help you can give!

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

The problem with externals was on the 10.3 with no updates as in a fresh install from the CDs, and it was with externals with a certain type of old firmware that people didn't update before updating OSX, which has been solved. If you drive is new then there shouldn't be a problem.

No. Just shutdown and turn off the drive.
    When you turn the drive on the OS should automatically mount it and add it to the desktop so you don't need an alias.
    Thats the default now, its HFS+ with Journaling turned on, or HFSJ. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus
    Nope.

3. Apple Jack thread starter macrumors newbie