Adding folders from my Gmail and Comcast accounts?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by amazonpam, Nov 23, 2010.

1. amazonpam macrumors member

Both my gamil and comcast accounts have folders which do not show up in my Ipad mail accounts. How do I import all of my folders?

2. Ksane macrumors regular

I set my gmail accounts up as imap on my iPad and all my folders show up.
    You're using imap and not pop, correct?

3. amazonpam thread starter macrumors member

How do i set it up using imap

I'm using whatever the automatic sign up in mail uses. I deleted one account but when I went to add it again, I did not see where I could choose between imap or pop. So how would I set up an account using imap>

4. Ksane macrumors regular

Go to your gmail settings at gmail.com and make sure imap is enabled. It's NOT enabled by default.

5. amazonpam thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a bunch

Thanks, I now have my Gmail folders.

Now to figue out how to get Ipad mail to use imap when going to fetch my Comcast mail. Therf's no set up at Comcast. Apparently they expect the program getting the mail to give me a choice of how ro receive it.

6. Ksane macrumors regular

The incoming server in iPad's mail program settings should be "imap.comcast.com" for example instead of "pop.comcast.com".

7. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

As far as I know Comcast doesn't support imap mail. They are strictly an POP3 system. Please let me know if there is another way to set it up, but everything I have read is only POP3.

Incoming Mail: mail.comcast.net
    Outgoing Mail: smtp.comcast.net

8. Ksane macrumors regular

Ah, that is very possible that Comcast doesn't support imap. Quite a few ISP's do not. In which case you won't be able to specify server side folders that will show up on your iPad. If Apple would ever allow 3rd party email programs the problem would be resolved. I can't see control freaks such as Apple allowing that though.

9. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Comcast has their own iPhone app, but it is not a true iPad app. You can access and move messages to your additional folders through that app. I cannot remember if you can create new folders with the app. I only use it to check my VM through Comcast Digital Voice.