Adding functions to the right click menu

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mcsolas, Mar 25, 2013.

1. mcsolas macrumors regular

I recently switched to osx. I really miss the ability to right click inside a folder and create a file, usually I would create a txt or doc file of some type for text input. really basic stuff, but the thing is that its really been part of my typical workflow for years. So far in osx, the only way I know of to make a new file is open an app then save it to the location of the folder (which you have to navigate back to even if you were already there looking at it in Finder )

So far the only workaround I found in a few searches was to use terminal and there was a command that way. Is there any way to streamline new file creation, such as adding it into the right click menu?

2. mcsolas thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! This is doing exactly what I wanted and I see implements some nice tweaks to the system. I like the copy path feature, that is going to come in handy.

3. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

Pathfinder is another option. Though a bit more spendy, it offers a complete Finder replacement as it should be.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can use the built in Automator to create a service that will do exactly what you described. Here is a how-to.

5. Khachidze macrumors newbie

Khachidze

i tried it but nothing :( can u give me video tutorial?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Okay... I put together the Automator service for you. Download it from here and click to install it as a Service. Once it is installed you can right click on a folder in the Finder and you will see the "New text file" service at the bottom. Just click it and you will prompted to name the text file.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Wow, I got TotalFinder just a couple of days ago, as a trail, this is sooooo much better, I have my coloured Sidebar Icons back.:D

Thanks a lot.

8. mcsolas thread starter macrumors regular

That TotalFinder app you mentioned looks very promising. I may have to try and download the trial...

9. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

You'll wonder how you ever loved without it. On the other hand, I've been a totalfinder user for years and that xtrafinder app that w0lf posted looks really cool.

10. mcsolas thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, xtrafinder has made itself very useful.. but there are still some finder display tweaks that I am frustrated with. File sorting is one major detail. Seeing that totalfinder could group the folders, that gets me right there.

I also would like to be able to increase the icon size in list and column view modes (globally)..

Getting better as I go. Also you can try another great freeware app called bettertouchtool - it does window snapping. I have come to really like it as well.

11. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

Yep, already use it. Another one of my "can't live without" apps.