Adding Fusion: XP or Vista

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tbear1, Dec 31, 2008.

1. tbear1 macrumors regular

I am going to install Fusion so that I can run IE7 for ActiveX websites. I determined that Fusion is a better choice for me based on Macrumor forum searches. I did not see any discussion on preferences of XP or Vista.

It appears that MS can't eliminate XP due to large institutional following. The MS website says they will be supporting the OS well into the future even though they are not 'officially' selling the OS. I also like that it only requires 1.5 GB of HD space.

Vista requires more HD space, but I hate to buy 'old' software (XP). It seems like users have mixed reviews of XP and Vista running under Fusion. So either should work ok if installed properly.

Any opinions on Vista or XP running under Fusion?

How about any +/- of using an OEM version or a boxed version?

Thanks.

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

FWIW, My XP VM with 512MB of RAM assigned to it feels more snappier™ than my Vista VM with 1GB of RAM assigned to it. This is on a 2.4GHz MBP.

If you're going to be doing a lot of work and are prone to getting irritated with occasional pauses and stuff, you might consider XP.

3. tbear1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, yes that is the way I am leaning at this point.

4. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

XP. 100%. Vista is painful to use with anything less than 2GB of virtual machine RAM.