Adding Hard Drive/Ram to MacPro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Schkeen, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Schkeen macrumors newbie

I am purchasing a new Mac Pro today, and was planning on purchasing my own additional hard drives and installing them. Purchasing them from http://eshop.macsales.com/. They also sell RAM and was thinking of installing that on my own also. The price configured through the Apple Store is $5900, with 24" Monitor. If I added my own HD's, RAM, and purchased Dell's 24" Ultrasharp (which was very highly reviewed), price is $4700.

Good idea on my own, or not?

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Adding additional HD's and RAM to the MacPro is incredibly easy, I did both to mine in less than 10 minutes. Just be sure you understand the Memory Riser install instructions for your version of the Mac Pro.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Absopositivulutely. NEVER buy RAM or HDDs from Apple, but also don't buy HDDs from OWC.

Buy RAM from OWC, cables from Monoprice, and all other hardware from Newegg.

4. ukuleleman macrumors member

New drives and Ram

I recently stuck a new drive in my Mac Pro, wow, it's so easy, no cables no tie wraps, literally you just stick it in, just plug and play.

I haven't upped my ram yet (if you'll pardon the expression!) but I am pretty sure it has to be done in sets of two, ie two blocks of Ram not singles boards.

My advice is do it, I doubled the size of my hard drive in one easy movement.

I was glad I did it in the end because I got to see the original drive that Apple had put in, a 'Western Digital', I nearly had a fit, I had five Western Digital drives die on me on my old PC and swore I would never trust one again, this one is into it's second year! any minute now!!!

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This is true of the 2006 and 2008 models, but the 2009 can be done in 1, 2, or 3 sticks at a time.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

It's so easy a caveman could do it. Uh - sorry, wrong forum.