Adding holidays to iCal

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by akm3, Apr 23, 2008.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

So, I am trying to use iCal more and more, and just learned about a feature it had that I didn't know about.

I was looking at my iPod touch to see when mothers day was, and realized there were no holidays on my iCal! I thought that the program couldn't be that worthless, and sure enough it isn't!

What you do, if you didn't already know this very basic thing, is go to Calendar --> Find Shared Calendars.

This takes you to Apple's website where there are tons of different calendars to subscribe to. If you click 'most popular', the first choice is U.S. holidays. Click to download it, and boom. You have all the U.S. holidays automatically added to your iCal calendar. There are many other countries you can subscribe to as well, and also many other calendars: Moon schedules, racing schedules, football, whatever.

I know this is old hat 'basic' for many Mac users, but as a going on 6 month switcher, I had no idea of this feature. OSX and it's built in features continue to impress me.

-Allen

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yep, had this calendar in my iCal for a while. It's convenient. :)

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

4. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

It IS really convenient - makes me wish they had more "global" calendars.

5. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

haha You are making fun of me, but I can handle that. Thank you Ric Romero and your breaking news report :)

I only shared my 'find' because I honestly didn't know about it and I'm sure there are other switchers who didn't either.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

don't feel bad, took me forever to figure out too

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I went and looked at the list, and the first page had Austria, Argentina, and Brazil. What country were you looking for?

8. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Okay, that was bad phrasing on my part. By global I didn't mean other countries of the world, I mean "more global calendars" - as in, more of these shared calendars. Sorry about that.

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

This should be much appreciated - there are a number of theoretically simple things out there with which many new users, and some experienced ones, are not familiar.

Really, this is the type of stuff that is needed in the Mac Basics forum. Thanks for putting it out there.

10. TheCreator macrumors member

Nice tip man, I don't use iCal a whole lot, but this will help!

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i download the sports ones like bruins and rangers along with the holidays and jewish holiday's really helps out at organizing your life

13. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

14. bennyboi macrumors regular

bennyboi

wow. really handy tip i did not know, and i consider myself savvy. always annoyed about the no holidays. Thanks for sharing!!! :cool:

15. Latro macrumors member

you can also add any shared google calendars to iCal. There are MANY google calendars that may be interesting.