Adding Internal CD/DVD Drive - any specific requirements?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iOrbit, Apr 4, 2016.

1. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

so my superdrive isn't working. I'm looking to put one or two replacement drives in, just something dirt cheap. But given its Apple, i suspect there may be some specific requirement i should know about.

so, do Mac Pro's require any specific types of drives? i can tell it should be Sata CD drives but does the speed/version of Sata matter? does the CD drive dimensions matter from any of the usual sizes?

i rarely use it, but i cannot get bootcamp installed on the Mac Pro, it does not detective the disc in my external Blu Ray drive at all, even though the system detects the drive/cd.

2. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

It needs to have a tray, not slot loading. The tray bezel needs to be removable, but that's almost every drive.

I would just get a recent model blu-ray drive. LG blu-ray drives seem to be a popular choice and as far as I know they all have a bezel that can be popped off.

3. iOrbit thread starter macrumors 6502a

the bezel has to be removed? i thought the one in my Mac had its bezel. i better look again.

i won't be spending money like that on a drive, my use case: use it for project, resell it in a year or so. + i already have an external blu ray drive which works with all my Macs. I just want something dirt cheap for now to get bootcamp working and anything else that might require an internal drive for the Mac. The only drive i intend to spend a bit of money on is possibly a replacement superdrive for when i resell it (to help it keep its value).

4. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

The tray bezel has to be removed, not the whole drive's bezel.