Adding iPhone audio input to my car

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by boston04and07, Mar 23, 2010.

1. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

I'm looking into adding a 3.5mm audio input to my car for my iPhone, and I really have no idea where to begin, so I was hoping you guys could help me with this. I currently have a 2007 Toyota Corolla that has a 3-disc CD changer along with the basic AM/FM radio. All I'm looking for is a simple 3.5mm cable to connect my iPhone to the stereo, so that I can listen to music and GPS directions through the speakers. Is this a simple type of add-on for a car like this, or more of a bigger project? Is it something that can be done in a dealership or at home? I know next to nothing about cars so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

This is a semi-complicated subject and this probably isn't the best forum to get your answer to that.

I do not know any details about your specific vehicle and what kind of inputs the stock head unit accepts, but I think your simplest solution would just be purchasing a new head unit that has a 3.5mm jack built into it. Most audio shops will install a new head unit for around $50. Search the web for a cheap unit (will most likely still be better then the stock one) that is either iPod compatible or at least has a 3.5mm imput jack.

3. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Thanks for your quick response! Yeah, I figured it'd be best to have someone else do this project for me - I just wanted to make sure that it was actually something that could be done.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I'm not sure if it's possible to be done keeping your existing head unit (stereo). It is definitely possible to swap out your head unit for a new one that is iPod compatible or at least has a 3.5mm input. Something similar to this would work great for you: Pioneer DEH2100IB

5. luckyblue macrumors regular

luckyblue

My work won't let me access the website to confirm it, but I'm pretty sure the place where I got mine was www.iCarKits.com

They will let you browse by your year, make, and model to confirm they have the right harness to adapt to your car stereo. They aren't cheap, but well worth it, because it will charge your phone as it connects at the bottom and usually will use the CD changer port, or satalite port, depending on your car. I've used these guys for several different cars over the years and they've worked everytime.

Usually you can find a video on youtube on how to take out your car stereo.

6. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Another option is an FM transmitter to beam your iPhone audio onto an empty FM radio channel.

Personally I'm not a fan of these, but it is something that will work with no changes to your existing setup.

7. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Thanks everyone, that's all really good to know. I'll look into changing it myself or having someone else do it for me. I currently have an FM transmitter which doesn't work so well at all, since I live between two major broadcasting locations and travel between states often. Very helpful information! I'll update the thread if I ever get around to doing this. :)

8. j2048b macrumors 6502a

I actually have a tape player in my truck, and i use one of the old tape's used for walkman cd players and puch the tape in, and plug the cord into my iphone, works like a charm through the speakers!