Adding iPhoto to the "open with" list

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 3bs, Feb 20, 2012.

1. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

When I right click on images and go to "open with" I get a list of programs but iPhoto isn't one of them. I can click on other and navigate to it but is there a way to add it to this list so it always shows up? I don't want images to always open with it, just for it to be on this list.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I haven't tested it yet, but I'm going on a hunch. Try this:
    1. Select an image file, such as a .png file
    2. Right-click and "Get Info"
    3. Under "Open with:" make a note of your preferred default app
    4. Click the dropdown, click "Other" and browse to and select iPhoto.app
    5. Click "Change All"
    6. Now right-click on an image file and verify that iPhoto is on the "Open With" menu
    7. Now follow steps 1-5 to change the default app back to your earlier preference
    8. Now right-click an image file and see if iPhoto remains on the list
    You might be able to do this without the "Change All"

3. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

After changing it to iPhoto, in the Get info section it changed. But when I right click a file go to open with, it's still says Preview (default). Double clicking the file opened it with iPhoto. I changed it back to Preview but iPhoto didn't show up on the list of open with programs.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, did you use the same file type for everything? For example, if you changed a .jpg, then Preview would still show for the .png files. Also, did you "Change All"? If you did, the default should have changed for all files of that type. If you change the Open With selection without clicking Change All, you only change that one particular file, and not all files of that type. You may also try relaunching Finder after you make a change, to make sure it "takes".

5. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I used the exact same file but I also made sure I clicked change all and accepted the change. It did open with iPhoto afterwards but it only showed up as the default program in the Get Info section until I relaunched Finder. I switched back to Preview and relaunched Finder again but iPhoto is not on the list of Open With programs now. Thanks for the suggestion but do you have any other ideas?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It was worth a shot. I don't know how comfortable you are with Terminal, but it might help to rebuild the launch services database.

How to rebuild the LaunchServices database - Mac OS X Hints

7. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I do want to add iPhoto to the list but I never use Terminal and I don't wanna mess up my Mac. Thanks anyway :p

8. GGJstudios, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you simply copy and paste the command exactly as shown, you won't mess up your Mac, but you have to do what you're comfortable with. You can also use Onyx to rebuild the launch services database.

9. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Oh if it's as simple as that then I'll give it a try now.

Edit: I entered this /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/\
    Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister \
    -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

and I got this -bash: /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister: No such file or directory

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What version of Mac OS X are you running? Also see my last post regarding Onyx.

From OnyX:

11. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

10.7.3. I will check out Onyx later and post back. Thank you

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

By the way, Launch Services is on the Maintenance tab in OnyX.

13. 3bs, Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

It's telling me to do this but I try and after it restarts the Apple logo turns into a stop logo and I have to hold the power button to turn off my Mac and turn it back on. How do I do this exactly? The way I did it was click on restart and then pressed and held command + R

Edit: I tried LaunchServices but it didn't help

Screen Shot 2012-02-21 at 23.56.38.png

14. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

iPhoto, more than just a way to view images, is an organizational tool.
    if you 'open' a photo in the app, you are also storing it.

is this what you want? it's pretty easy to just drag an image onto the iPhoto icon (in the dock for instance), and it will import into the iPhoto library, where u can then edit it (or stare at it) to your heart's content.

preview, for example, is a better app for simply viewing or editing an image.

i have my mp3s all set to open with quicktime player. if i want to KEEP an mp3, i can drag it into iTunes, but if i only want to check it out, QT is a better option;
    it's not saving and cataloging the song.

same idea with iPhoto...

15. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I get your point but that's why I want it in the "open with" list. I don't want to set it as my the default program to open images. I want to keep Preview for that. But some images I want to open with iPhoto so I can store them in albums and currently I either have to drag and drop them into iPhoto or right click > open with > other > pick iPhoto. I would like to be able to select iPhoto from the Open With list. There must be a way to add it since other programs I've installed are there such as Chrome, Firefox and Skitch.

16. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i get it. still, u CAN just drag the file onto the iPhoto icon in the dock...