adding items to the trash bin

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stoutboy1, Jul 8, 2008.

1. stoutboy1 macrumors regular

stoutboy1

For the last 6 years I have been able to drag items to the trash bin, but now when I do that it asks me if I'd like to permenemtly delete the item.

I want to be able to add things to my trash bin and NOT delete them instatnly. I have no Idea how this got changed ro how to fix it. Please help.

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

If you drag the items from a network share to the trash, it will prompt you with the alert that it will be deleted permanently. Other than that, I don't know how you are able to get that message. :eek:
    Just one simple question:
    Do you know how the permissions are set? I.e. open the Terminal.app, and simply type "ls -al" and take a look at the following line:

drwx------ 2 <you> staff 68 Jul 8 23:09 .Trash

Is the first part the same? (drwx------)

3. stoutboy1 thread starter macrumors regular

stoutboy1

In response to the above question, this is what I get in the terminal:

drwxr-xr-x 24 coleoneal wheel 816 Jul 6 17:06

Does that help?

Here is a picture of the pop up.
    [​IMG]

Obviously I don't know how to post up a picture. The message says exactly

"The item "picture 1" will be deleted immediately. Are you sure you want to continue?"

I installed and ran a program called macdust on the 6th on July. That may have been what caused it but I just want my trash can back.

Please help.

4. stoutboy1 thread starter macrumors regular

stoutboy1

I tried everything I could think of and a bunch of suggestions... Nothing worked so I shut the computer down and went to sleep. The next morning I got up and it was still having issues.

I reset the finder and that fixed it. :D:D:D:D
    Go figure.