adding line to AT&T family share plan without contract using iTunes

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
my wifes phone is with Verizon wireless and i thought ill move her to my AT&T family share plan when white iphone 4 comes out (she only wants a white iPhone 4) .. since it will be a while before white iphone 4 is out. i was thinking of bring her to AT&T family share without getting into a contract , so i will still be eligible to upgrade on her line when white iphone 4 is finally out.

it is possible to just activate a brand new sim using my old IPHONE 3GS with itunes and chose the option to port my number ? if i do it thru itune would i bind my self into 1 or 2 year contact? i want to bring her to my at&T family share plan but don't want to lose my upgrade option.

any one ever done this? suggestions?

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Port the number but just get a SIM card. Then toss into an iPhone or other junkie phone. Tell the AT&T rep exactly what you want to do.

In my case, the only time a contract happens is when you get a phone at a subsidized price. I was able to add three lines, each with just walking out with a SIM card, going month-to-month, and tacking on $10/month to the family plan for the line. I proceeded to grab three iPhone 2Gs off CraigsList and my kids are all happy (no data plan, too).

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
2 years, your upgrade eligibility won't be touched..
so u are saying that i am still signing a 2 year contract ? but ill be able to upgrade any time as i didn't purchase a phone from them? i cant find any information on at&t site saying this

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Port the number but just get a SIM card. Then toss into an iPhone or other junkie phone. Tell the AT&T rep exactly what you want to do.

In my case, the only time a contract happens is when you get a phone at a subsidized price. I was able to add three lines, each with just walking out with just a SIM, going month-to-month, and tacking on $10/month to the family plan for the line.

great! thats what i want to do too.. i already bought a brand new sim on ebay, and have it with me .. do i need to go to a store or just do it on phone or some how online which is better ?

cirial

macrumors regular
May 2, 2010
Pompano Beach, FL
so u are saying that i am still signing a 2 year contract ? but ill be able to upgrade any time as i didn't purchase a phone from them? i cant find any information on at&t site saying this
I figured YOU wanted to get the ip4 as well. I think she will be able to get it for $199 since she will be a "new" customer so u won't have to worry about upgrade eligibility.

If your looking to get her on AT&T NOW with a different phone, THEN upgrade her to a white ip4 then u will have to shell out big bucks if I'm not mistaken. Just wait in that case..

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010

In my case, the only time a contract happens is when you get a phone at a subsidized price. I was able to add three lines, each with just walking out with a SIM card, going month-to-month, and tacking on $10/month to the family plan for the line. I proceeded to grab three iPhone 2Gs off CraigsList and my kids are all happy (no data plan, too).
BTW how did u get iphone to work without data?

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
I figured YOU wanted to get the ip4 as well. I think she will be able to get it for $199 since she will be a "new" customer so u won't have to worry about upgrade eligibility.

If your looking to get her on AT&T NOW with a different phone, THEN upgrade her to a white ip4 then u will have to shell out big bucks if I'm not mistaken. Just wait in that case..

if i can get her number on month to month right now .then i can buy white ip4 for $199 when its out signing a contract correct?

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
i tried adding a no commitment line with AT&T on my family share and was not able to do it thru itunes.... (it put me on 2 years contract) when i called at&T the person who answered the phone did take me off the 2 year contract but screwed my eligibility to upgrade my phone .....now the only way i can buy a phone on that line is by paying a full price .... she said it will be fixed in 48 hours , and will show a discounted upgrade price too ... i don't think that's going to happen ... what do i do?

this is what i see when i check the upgrade eligibility on that line

As a valued AT&T customer, you may be eligible for an upgrade on this line, with no-commit equipment pricing and without signing a 2-year commitment. Click 'Upgrade Eligibility' to view your upgrade options.