Adding lines credit card only?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by loskickking23, Jul 4, 2011.

1. loskickking23 macrumors 6502a

I went to At&t today to add 3 lines to my acct today....She was going to buy 1 white iPhone 4 and 2 3GS on her credit card... At&t told me that the credit card had to be in my name... They also wouldn't let me use cash... They told me this is apples policy now... Any other phone I use what I want to use... My gf and her kids were planning on leaving sprint to come over to AT&T and it wasn't even about the iPhone... Now they are considering on getting different phones (droid).. Smh .... Has anybody else ran into this issue? And is apple going to loose money from this ?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I thought Apple's policy was that at least 50% of the total had to be on a debit/credit card, the other 50% can be cash or gift cards. But I remember reading about this policy a while ago, not sure if it still applies.

3. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They told us that the whole amount had to be my credit card.... They wouldn't even take my bank debit card or anything.... The whole thing was crazy to me... The the customer service rep said they have been loosing money behind this so they try to talk you into a droid off the top... Lol... This really isn't good... I was so angry that we left with nothing yesterday..

4. FX4568 macrumors 6502

Wow I never knew that. My brother bought it all cash. Not sure if they are actually doing it right.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

Apple is listed in the top 20 company's so I think they are ok. you can get cash via credit card but if it's that upsetting then get a android they even have free one of those. Oh and resale sucks on droids too. I easily sold my old iphone for double my contract price and will likely do it again this year! because iPhones suck so bad.

seems to me a good idea to have the credit card in the buyers name though. why can't she open the account herself?

6. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I know.... I'm on my fourth iPhone ... So I Definatly know the re sale is my friend .... Nothing should be this hard,especially getting a &$@? Phone.... I have really been loving my iPhones but this is really becoming a pain in my &$@... They already have droids through sprint and I wanted them to have iPhones... But I can only do what they will let me do... There are ways around this but I don't think it should be this hard

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

umm I suggest you get off the forum and go have a beer or two. Maybe hang with the GF without the kids near by. If this van is a rocking don't bother knocking. ;) you will both feel less stress.

8. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol!! Its really not that bad .... I just wanted to see if anybody else heard of this... What ever our choice is going to be it's going to be... U actually sound more Upset than I do...:D....

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

IIRC, after Apple got called out by this media story last year, they dropped their "cash only" policy.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

nope just have a twisted sense of humor. I'm the Zen type of guy too.

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

We billed our two to our account last week on Verizon....

12. magicpinkdrink macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

I've heard of that policy in the Apple stores, but when I got my
    iPhone 4 this past September, I paid cash. Maybe it's changed again since then, or maybe I got away with it because I'm good friends with the people at our local AT&T store ( my husband used to work there).

13. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

They wouldn't let us use cash... They said upgrades I can use cash or bank cards.... But when adding lines to your account , you must use a credit card in your name... She was going to use her card to buy the phones her and the kids were going to be using on my acct...this was 2 different AT&T stores that told me the same thing...they said it was because of scams... I have been with AT&T since before the iPhone... Who would be foolish enough to scam on there own 6 year account...

14. wvphysics macrumors regular

Would you want just anyone off the street to be able to go through your trash, get an old bill, and walk into ATT to add a line to your account that you then have to pay the monthly charges? The credit card is likely an identity check and a credit check. Also, have you added her as someone who can make changes to the account? If not, that could also be the problem.

15. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I'm there in the store with her and my ID? That's all u need for any other phone sir... That's what they told me

16. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I even told them I will put her on the account and they said no.... Im just going to use my card if she wants me to to eliminate the bs... She was more upset about it than me... Lol... I will see what she wants to do later

17. wvphysics macrumors regular

If I am understanding, you have not gone in yourself with her to add the line. You told them you WILL add her, but have not yet done so. Look at it from their point of view. Someone comes to them and says "I want to add my phone to someone else's account." Even with you on the phone, they have no way to verify that the person on the phone is the account holder. I don't see this as "BS", I see it as them protecting me from someone adding their phone to my account and making me pay for it.

If she has already been added to the account then that is different. I dont mean will be, or promised to, I mean officially added as someone authorized to add lines or make changes. Sounds like a small inconvience compared to an outcome of say an unauthorized phone added that runs up a couple hundred dollars in data charges.

18. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No.... Me and her were in the store together... Face to face with customer service rep.... She's on sprint but was coming to my plan to get a family plan to try and get a lower bill.... I pay $130 a month with AT&T and she pays $180 a month for sprint for 3 lines... We were going to get a family plan that would have saved us a little over $100 a month...we just had to buy the phones and add them to my acct... Only problem was that with the iPhone she could not use her credit card... It has to be a major credit card in my name...so I asked can they bill it to my account , they said no.... I then asked can I use cash they said no... Then I asked can I add her to my acct fully, they said yes but because I am the one who opened the account 6 years ago, they still would be able to use her card to purchase any iPhones.... Thats when they said do you guys want droids or any other kind of phones... We went into 2 different stores together and was told the same exact thing

19. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

I apologise.. I really do...

But I just could not resist.

[​IMG]

20. loskickking23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My uncle just bought an iPhone 4 two weeks ago and paid cash, and I paid 75% cash when the 4 was originally released.