Adding links to PDFs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dented, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Dented macrumors 6502a

Someone I know is literally on the verge of ditching their PC and buying a Mac, but after boldly claiming that macs can do anything a windows machine does, they've thrown me a curve ball.

The thing they absolutely must, must be able to do on their new machine is edit PDF files and add hyperlinks within those PDFs.

Agonisingly it seems this is something you used to be able to do easily and for free in Preview, but the feature has been absent since Mountain Lion. None of the various PDF editors in the App Store mention this feature (in fact they all seem to offer the same suspiciously Preview-like feature set, suggesting they're all working to the same limitations).

My googling around this keeps coming up with the same very dodgy looking Chinese software with some dubious marketing tactics (peppering the web with various blogs on how to insert links all pointing to the same app) and a dodgy looking installer that I don't want to run myself, let alone recommend to someone else.

I'm not even 100% sure that Adobe Acrobat, which is a hefty monthly subscription product, will actually let you insert links into PDFs on a Mac.

So... Does anyone have any ideas? Any recommendations of something reputable? Do you do this everyday in various different apps and not know what I'm worrying about? Please help!

2. styymy macrumors member

3. Dented thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help, I have to say I'm a bit dubious about wonder share though. That's the company I referred to in my first post - they use some pretty dubious marketing practices, there are numerous reports on the web of their "installer" trying to install various hidden services, and the whole thing just stinks a bit of malware to me - not a way I want to feel about a $99 product. I don't particularly feel safe installing it on my own machine to try out, so don't feel right about recommending it either.

He doesn't want to shell out for Acrobat (the basic version starts at more than £10pm which is a lot just to accomplish a seemingly simple task like this). I was hoping there might be something in the App Store, or something else reasonably priced and trustworthy that did this, but maybe not.