Adding Macbook to Windows7 network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peps1, Feb 9, 2010.

1. peps1 macrumors newbie

Hello guys, Im relatively new mac and networking for that matter!

Im having trouble seeing my mac on my Windows 7 PC, I guess the biggining is a good place to start, so here is what iv done.
    On my macbook, iv gone to system preferences/network/airport/advanced/WINS and put in the name of my workgroup "WORKGROUP" and put my gateway ip in for the winservers.
    But not seeing the mac on the PC......have searched the forum and seen this post
    But still no luck.......any chance of a little help, as all i want to b3e able to do is move files back and forth from the Mac to pc, and visa-versa.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Have you enabled File Sharing etc in System Preferences/Sharing so that you are actually sharing something (ie that your stuff can actually be seen remotely)

3. peps1 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, iv ticked file sharing and designated sharing the whole drive in advanced.

4. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

I've tried to get my Mac and Desktop to play nice and share a printer that hooked up to my Win desktop. Nothing I tried works so I gave up.

The best I could do was file sharing using smb://IP

5. peps1 thread starter macrumors newbie

After a restart the mac is showing up on my network.....but when i try to access it i get the following and nothing come back from running the diagnostic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thought I would also show my mac setting to in case any of you can spot something wrong.......im baffled.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Maybe I'm being dopey but shouldn't you be able to see files on the Windows 7 computer from your Macbook but not the other way around because Windows doesn't read HFS disks (without Bootcamp 3.1 or Macdrive)?