All iPads Adding Magnets to Back Case?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by CJisohsocool, Dec 20, 2013.

1. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

So Im wondering if anyone has tried this before, Adding magnets or a magnetic strip of magnetic tape, to the back of a folio case so that the smartcover part stays closed when opened. Heres a pic where the magnet would be

[​IMG]

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have seen it done before. It can look good and blend in if done correctly.

3. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

Done it many times, most recently with an original leather Smart Case for the iPad mini 2. I refuse to use a case without this feature

4. CJisohsocool thread starter macrumors 6502

What did you use exactly? Magnetic tape or...? Could use some help on what to use lol.

5. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

Magnets of different types. Round rare earth magnets are strong, cheap, work great, and you can just drill a hole

6. dvboy macrumors regular

The cover it's self is already magnetic,so the strip of metal on the back of the case does not need to be magnetic,just metal.

7. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

When I had my iPad 3rd Gen, I had a Deviceware back cover and the Apple Smart front cover. The Deviceware back cover had a single metal strip for the front cover to "latch" onto. I loved it and was thinking about doing the same thing to my Apple Smart Case on my Air. I was going to see if the front cover of the Smart Case is strong enough to stick to a plain piece of metal or if a weak magnet was needed. It already kinda sticks to the back of the case, but it's not strong enough to stay there.

8. batotman macrumors 6502

I bought some 3M strips a couple years ago from a forum member. Can't remember what they're called at the moment. They're not magnets but attract the magnets from the case. I put them inside the case and they work great.

9. jmgag03 macrumors member