Adding MBP and a TC to home network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by baditkoff, Apr 13, 2009.

1. baditkoff macrumors member

Good day to all,
    Do you think I may have a "potential" problem with the following home network configuration? http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gif
    I currently have a Motorola SBG900 for my all-in-one solution wireless cable modem gateway for my MS XP desktop & laptop home network.

I will be buying a MBP and the TC for my existing home network. I will be connecting the time capsule/WAN point to the the SBG900 Ethernet connection and disabling the SBG900 wireless component to benefit of the 802n/g. The TC will be my router/firewall and the SBG900 firewall will disabled. The SBG900 will still be my dhcp server.

AND
    Does Apple phone-support support these type of home configuration questions?

Thanks everybody

2. johnnj macrumors 6502a

If I was you, I'd leave your Motorola in place as the router (turning off its WLAN radio) and then add the TC in "bridged" mode, which turns off its routing.

Was there a specific reason you wanted to not use the Motorola as your router any more? The TC isn't exactly mindblowing in terms of routing featureset (for example it doesn't do uPNP).

In order for your proposed topology to work, you'd have to be able to switch the Motorola unit into a bridging mode (thereby shutting off the routing and just allowing it to work as a cable modem). I'm not familiar with that unit, so I'm not sure if it'll allow you to do that.

As far as Apple's support? I'm pretty sure it'll stop at the limits of the TC itself and not extend to what you'd need to do to 3rd party devices to get it to do what you want.

Good luck,

John

3. baditkoff thread starter macrumors member

Hi John,
    Thanks for the reply.

I read though the Moto manual and reviewed the user's interface and did not see anything about turning off the Motor routing capability. I want to be able to use the TC’s faster wireless speed and thought I needed the TC to also be the router. I am unable to find the information on-line at apple’s website. Not required? So if routing is turned off, that makes the TC as a simple node without routing. Without routing enabled, would you know if the TC would forward dhcp requests to the Moto? Sorry, this question may be way out there! Would this question be fair at the genius bar?

Thanks,
    Andy

4. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Andy,

Yes, you're exactly right. The TC just becomes another client device on your network. I have a similar setup, but with a TC, a linksys WRT54GL (only running as an access point), a newer linksys (also running as AP only) and an Airport Express. The router is the Verizon supplied ActionTec (wlan turned off). I have it this way so I can have dedicated N and dedicated G coverage throughout my house.

All you need to do to put it in this mode is:

1. connect one of the 4 "inside" ethernet ports to your network. The WAN port will remain unused. Boot up the TC. It should grab IP config via DHCP like any other device on your network.

I've actually never done it this way. Usually I set devices up by directly connecting my laptop to the device and setting static IP's, but I don't see any reason why it can't be done the other way.

2. connect via the Aiport utility, and go under the "Internet" tab. At the bottom you'll see "Connection Sharing". Change this to "Off (Bridge Mode).

3. After the TC reboots, you should be able to configure your WLAN stuff like normal.

John

5. baditkoff thread starter macrumors member

Thanks John,
    I hope to buy this weekend. I'll post my results (assuming I get back on-line ;-) ). I looking forward to getting an MBP. My daughter just raves about her MB. We are soooo tired of XP startup issues and the third party (ie: anti-virus software) burdens.

Andy

6. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Cool... Yeah, I'm really a PC guy but I love this machine. I'm not sure if I'll ever buy another PC laptop again.

Good luck with your stuff this weekend.

John

7. TheStork macrumors regular

TheStork

8. baditkoff thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for P48. P48 appears to be the last TC generation since the current generation now handles both bands. I am looking for a "turn-key" solution. That's why I am going to buy the TC. My existing XP platforms & PDAs should connect to the 2.4 MHz network and my MBP should connect to the 5MHz. I just hope I do not get the drop out issues that I have read about on MacRumors.

Thanks for all your help. This is a GREAT community.

Andy

9. johnnj macrumors 6502a