Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sequin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I have been trying to find out how to do this for a while and can't seem to get it right. I just got my brand new beautiful MBP, but am also new to Macs in general. I want to transfer my files from my PC to my MBP through wifi, but I can't figure out how to get the MBP added to my workgroup so that my PC laptop can see my MBP. Right now I'm on the network, but my Mac cannot see any other computers connected to it. Not sure what to do. D: Help!

Sequin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
Argh okay now I've got it where my Macbook can pull from my PC... but not the other way around. It's more important that I can send from my PC to the Mac since I need to recreate my entire iTunes library D:

Relentlos

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
Make sure the Windows computer is set to have a network location like "Workgroup" (default), or "Homegroup" as it seems to be in Win7.

Go into system preferences in OS X, "Network", and under 'locations', type "Homegroup" (or whatever the windows machine is set to). Once they're both on the same network name, they should start to see eachother.

Also enter "Sharing" in system preferences, "Firewall", "Advanced" and make sure "Block UDP communications" is not checked. The computers use UDP to talk to eachother.

Also make sure in "sharing" that "Windows sharing" is enabled.

Hope that helps.

Sequin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I did everything except for 'windows sharing' since that isn't an option under 'sharing' in system preferences... but my PC still can't see my Mac. D:

Edit: Actually nevermind. 'Windows Sharing' turned into file sharing on Leopard and I already had that enabled and made sure that smb stuff was working. I'm still confused as to why the MBP can see my PC, but my PC can't see my MBP.

Relentlos

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
edit: fixed my bad sentence structure.

Try going to network places and mapping a network drive. Type the mac's IP address, see if it connects. I'm not sure if it's even called "network places" anymore on Win7, but the option should be there somewhere.

Sequin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I actually figured it all out by doing that. It just took me forever to figure out that the username wasn't what I thought it was xD

Relentlos

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
for security, you should create a limited user account in OS X, and use that to log in from windows. It's better than having your Admin account/password being transferred across the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.